The Sulina is located in medieval maps in the year 1327 by Pietro Visconti.
The names under which the settlement of the Danube mouths is encountered over time are: Selina, Sunne, Solina and finally Sulina.
Over time, a number of traders, diplomats and military are making remarks about the important role that Sulina port plays for the proper deployment of navigation to the mouths of the Danube.
Due to the difficult navigation, caused by the existence of the sand banks, the currents and the shallow water in the Danube area, after the years 1785, there is more and more discussion about the adjustment of the Danube’s mouths.
In the years 1820, it is said that the first pirates in charge of robbing ships in impossibility of manoeuvre, anchor or difficulty areas at the mouth of the Danube are shown.
Moreover, the Danube mouths have always been a reason for the territorial disputes of the great powers since ancient times, and this situation has been perpetuated, passing from the violent stage of military threats, through a slow evolution that has Dressed in time the clothes of a fine diplomacy.
The everlasting misunderstanding between the Turks and the Russians had negative repercussions on the sailing activity. There were Russian andons through the quarantine station on the left bank of the Danube, with the intention of diverting naval traffic to the port of Odessa as there were actions to sabotage the Danube’s mouths by sinking ships.
In the year 1840 Sulina is nominated as a river-maritime port in the Russian-Austrian convention concluded in Saint Petersburg.
In the aftermath of the Crimean War, through the Paris Peace Congress, in the year 1856, the foundations of a European organisation whose role is to take care of the improvement of navigation to the Danube mouths and to the port of Brăila are laid out. This is the European Commission of the Danube, which is part of Austria, Russia, Turkey, England, France, Prussia and Sardinia.
The General Secretariat of the C.E.D. was in Sulina between the years 1856 to 1878.
In the port of Sulina was also the technical headquarters of the Commission, with the whole technical patrimony of the shipyard, dregs, hydro-technical vessels, lifeboats, intervention and manoeuvre trailers, the sailing house, the steering service for the bar and line, etc.
The period of operation of the European Danube Commission was extended for the duration of 82 years (1856-1939).
In the year 1857 the first telegraphical line connecting with the city of Galaţi is mounted.
After the year 1878, Sulina becomes a port with the status of Extraterrititoriality, characterized by neutrality in time of peace or war, with certain tax privileges.
Brought from the U.S., the first electrical generator put into service in Sulina, assures the energy for the Commissions Palace, its gardens and the Port pier.
In the year 1903 the first telephone line is inaugurated between the port of Sulina and the port of Galaţi and extends the electric lighting in the main points of the locality, the city becoming the first electric lighting in Romania.
In the year 1897 the construction works of a water plant, works financed by the Queen of the Netherlands are started.
With the year 1939, with the reduction of the prerogatives of the European Commission of the Danube, the city of Sulina loses its international status by passing under the authority of Romania.
The 25th of August 1945 remains as a black day of remembrance for the city of Sulina which, bombed by the allies, loses over 60 of the dowry of cultural heritage.